All photography provided by UAF, Todd Paris
The 2015 Polar Law Symposium asks three overarching questions:
- How can lawyers and other legal scholars interact with scientists and academics from other disciplines to the benefit of the Arctic?
- What can lawyers and academics from all disciplines contribute to each others' understanding of issues of common concern?
- Can models of cooperation among scientists, scholars, and lawyers from other geographic areas be adapted for the Arctic?
As the Preliminary Program shows, among the themes to be addressed are:
- The relationship of science and law in polar regions
- Marine policy and law
- International frameworks for Polar Law
- Risk and security issues in the Arctic
- Indigenous peoples rights
- Energy and environmental justice
- Arctic resource governance